Before anything, you must have a detailed plan or checklist to ensure that you are on the right track. Planning largely reduces the stress of moving as you are constantly aware of how much work is still left and what you need to do today. You can go through our Moving Checklist to experience hassle-free moving. First things first, get sturdy and clean boxes with ideal size from your local supermarket.
Gather Packing Supplies
Buy all the packing materials from your local supermarket. You will need various sizes of boxes to pack items which differ in size. Make sure that all boxes or cartons are durable and made from good quality material. You can consult our team to get help with packing. These are all the packing materials that you need to buy:
- Padding supplies
- Bubble wraps
- Wrapping sheets
- Newspapers, blank newsprint paper
- Heavy-duty packaging tape
- Labeling stickers
- Marking pens
Make A Move Binder
Buy a binder and store all of your important documents in it. We recommend that your binder must have these:
- Moving Checklist
- Contact information for your Moving Company
- Cash for movers tips
- Hotel reservations if any
- Contact details of your new property owner or realtor
- Any documents you may need before unpacking
Always keep this binder close to yourself or in a safe place. Make sure that you do not accidentally pack it with other items as that can create a mess for you.
Pack An Essential’s Bag
Pack a suitcase or a bag for each individual in your family days ahead of your moving day. These bags will contain things like soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, towels, some clothes, personal identification documents, sleepwear, etc. You should be able to function properly for a few days before you can unpack all of your things using this bag.
Make sure that you keep these bags or suitcases separate from all the other bags. You can keep them at your work or ask a neighbor to store them for a couple of days. You can carry these bags with you in your car.
- Use old clothes instead of bubble wrap to provide padding for fragile items. This way you do not have to pack these clothes separately and you also save money from not buying heaps of bubble wrap.
- You can use socks to wrap your glassware. Sounds a little weird but you will thank us later. Even if the glasses click against each other, the socks will protect them.
- Click photos before you disassemble any complicated electronic setups like the back of your Television. You can use this photo later to assemble them manually.
Packing Effectively & Efficiently
Create A Packing Station
Look for a wide open space in your home or create one. This will be your packing room with all the boxes, packing materials, tape, labels, etc. Drag and drop all your stuff in this space and then start packing them. Make sure that you label each box properly and also put a number on it. This way, you will know how many boxes you are moving and you will know if a box goes missing.
Don’t Pack Air
- Pick each individual item and wrap it up with layers of wrapping sheet or bubble wrap. As we said earlier, you can also use clothes to wrap up your items. Now, put the heavier items at the bottom and place the lighter items on top of them.
- Make sure that you fill the empty spaces in the boxes with crushed newspapers. This will protect them from any damages in the transit.
- Pack your books in a small but sturdy box. However, do not overstuff the boxes as books are heavy can break the box.
- Take extra precautions when you packing fragile items. Use extra layers of bubble wrap or wrapping sheets to pack them.
- Make sure that you use the saran wrap for all the bottles and caps to prevent any leakage. You can utilize cotton when packing delicate cosmetics.
Room Items Stay Together
- Try to pack all everything that belongs to a room in a marked or labeled box. Start with a room and purge all the small items which you want to carry to your new home. Now, pack all these small items in a box and label the box.
- Unpacking will be a lot easier if you have labeled each box properly. You can also request your movers to put the boxes in the respective rooms which are mentioned on the box.
Now, that we are all done with packing, it is time to get rid of the junk left behind. But make sure that you have checked each desk and table drawers for any item which you may have left behind. You can donate the items which you do not plan to carry to charities.
Finishing The Job
- Make sure that each box has been properly marked/labeled and start stacking them.
Count the total number of boxes, bags or suitcases and write down the number in your binder. Ask your mover to count the boxes as well.
Check if all boxes are holding up well and are properly taped.
Take one last look in each room to make sure you are not leaving anything behind. If you are certain that you have packed everything, it is time to shut the doors.
What To Expect From Professional Movers?
It is best to leave the packing work to professionals. If you are short on time and cannot pack everything on your own, call the Anne Arundel County Movers & Packers. Our Packing team is trained to use the best packing techniques and professional grade materials to pack your belongings.
Our team has years of experience in packing, you can rest assured all of your items will be packed with extra care so that they do not get damaged during the transit. Connect with our Professional Packing team to get your customized packing & moving estimate.